What is an LMSW?
An LMSW is a Licensed Master Social Worker by the Texas State Board of Social Worker Examiners. LMSWs are master's or doctoral level clinicians who have met the following criteria:
- Earn a master’s degree or doctoral degree in social work from an CSWE-accredited program
- An application in the form prescribed by the Council based on member board rules and corresponding fee(s)
- An official transcript from a properly accredited institution indicating the date the degree required for licensure was awarded or conferred. Transcripts must be received by the Council directly from the awarding institution, a transcript or credential delivery service, or a credentials bank that utilizes primary source verification
- A fingerprint based criminal history record check through the Texas Department of Public Safety and the Federal Bureau of Investigation;
- A self-query report from the National Practitioner Data Bank (NPDB) reflecting any disciplinary history or legal actions taken against the applicant. A self-query report must be submitted to the agency as a PDF that ensures the self-query is exactly as it was issued by the NPDB (i.e., a digitally certified self-query response) or in the sealed envelope in which it was received from the NPDB;
- Verification of the citizenship and immigration status information of non-citizen, naturalized, or derived U.S. citizen applicants through the DHS-USCIS Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements Program (SAVE). Applicants must submit the documentation and information required by the SAVE program to the Council;
- Examination results for any required examinations (e.g., LMSW licensing exam, jurisprudence) taken prior to applying for licensure;
- Documentation of any required supervised experience, supervision plans, and agreements with supervisors; and
- Any other information or supportive documentation deemed relevant by the Council and specified in its application materials.
Click Texas Behavioral Health Executive Council and Texas State Board of Social Worker Examiners Rulebook for more information on LMSW licensure.